Responsible for providing general legal advice on retail banking matters, preparing and/or reviewing account documents and other instruments, such as powers of attorney, trusts, and estate or probate documents (including guardianship/conservatorship orders), fielding issues escalated through the retail branches and helpline, performing legal research and analysis, maintaining files and records, and assisting in resolving legal problems which may represent potential exposure to the company. Develop expertise in state laws applicable to deposit account maintenance, servicing, and authority issues, and familiarity with deposit banking regulatory framework, including Truth in Savings Act, Reg E, Reg CC, ADA, CRA, and Fair Banking authority. Keep abreast of legislative and case law developments affecting the company and the banking industry.
Principal duties include, but are not limited to the following:
· Providing legal guidance and training for deposit account matters for branches, client contact centers, and functional areas in the SunTrust footprint states.
· Reviewing deposit client documents such as court orders, business organizational documents (by-laws, operating agreements, articles of incorporation), powers of attorney, trusts, wills and estates administration, and providing advice to retail and helpline teammates.
· Managing deposit-related disputes and supports client advocacy teams for the purpose of litigation avoidance.
· Reviewing and providing advice and training on legislative or regulatory changes impacting retail and deposit operations, policies, and procedures.
· Advising on core retail banking operational matters, including account openings, payment processing, return items issues, abandoned and escheated property, check processing under the UCC, and safe deposit box issues.
· Advising on internal security issues, including matters related to internal investigations, theft and defalcation, and fraud investigations.Qualifications
Bachelor’s and JD degrees from accredited colleges and law schools and law review or equivalent outstanding academic credentials; state bar licensure required. Five years of attorney experience, preferably representing clients who offer banking products/services (or comparable financial products/services), and should include either large law firm experience, in-house counsel experience, or some combination of large private law firm and in-house counsel experience with a financial institution..
Equal Opportunity Employer: SunTrust supports a diverse workforce and is a Drug Testing and Equal Opportunity Employer. SunTrust does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national originTo review the EEO Poster, copy and paste the following link into your browser: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf