The Agile Coach will drive the adoption of Agile for individual Agile delivery teams, or Agile delivery teams that contribute to a release train or value stream. They must be a champion for organizational agility and be able to facilitate teams to make measurable improvements. The Agile Coach is an expert in lean/Agile practices and one or more knowledge domains (i.e. technical, business, transformation) while having strong skills in facilitation, mentoring, training and professional coaching. The Agile coach is pragmatic, not dogmatic, about adopting Agile, and is proactive in driving sustainable, incremental change to improve organizational agility. The Agile coach is both people and outcome focused, and can demonstrate and speak to how certain Agile practices and behaviors drive valuable business results.
The Agile Coach will also be responsible for continual analysis and planning to ensure our Agile practices are world class and align with our operating reality as well as longer-term strategic vision. The Agile Coach must use techniques that increase collaboration, predictability, transparency and promote a culture of experimentation and innovation. In order to do this, the Agile Coach must also embody the Agile principles and lead by example. The Agile Coach will also help the team liaise with various software development teams, technology partners, and management to promote a model of Continuous Delivery and a Dev Ops culture through building relationships with Development & Operations and driving enhancements to the end-to-end release process. The Agile Coach will observe and assess SunTrust’s adoption of Agile practices and make recommendations to the Agile COE and their teams’ leadership, as needed, with suggestions for how to approach and remove impediments. Responsibilities:
- Support conversion of non-Agile teams to Agile methodology
- Coach, mentor, and support current Agile Delivery teams to achieve higher performance
- Assess the health and maturity of current teams
- Contribute to Agile Library of Training and Guidance for how we do Agile at SunTrust
- Keep teams focused on delivering business value
- Proactively identify issues and opportunities for management action, particularly performance and process improvements
- Show the teams how to effectively use vehicles, tools, process and procedures for transparency and communication so that reports and charts can be generated, information shared, and progress measured as needed
- Provide hands-on guidance and mentoring in the use of Agile tool
- Broker hard conversations when there are difficulties within the team or dysfunction between leadership and the Scrum Teams
- Draw best practices from the various Agile methodologies
- Recommend and provide hands-on mentoring in the implementation of Agile practices and processes to address emergent needs
- Conduct frequent reviews of current Agile techniques/practices and spearhead continuous process improvement and document recommendations and results/findings – communicate findings to Agile COE
- Provide and document progress/interim/assessment reports to indicate team capabilities and progress in successful Agile adoption and mastery based on metrics
- Define, create, and provide hands-on training for all critical Agile roles as well as the supporting tools that teams will use
- Practice the art of servant leadership
- Continue to learn and implement industry best practices
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience as a project manager or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- In-depth knowledge of software development practices and information systems and ability to identify, apply, and implement best practices.
- Understanding of key business processes and competitive strategies related to the IT function.
- Ability to plan and manage projects.
- Ability to solve complex problems by applying best practices.
- Ability to provide direction and mentor less experienced teammates.
- Ability to interpret and convey complex, difficult, or sensitive information.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Computer Science, or related field or equivalent combination of industry-related professional experience and education
- Experience in stakeholder relationship and team building
- 2+ years in a pure coaching role (not a delivery role) for Agile teams in a large organization
- Expertise in Scrum including the value and principles, and how they are applied in enterprise environments.
- 2-5 years’ experience in software delivery, preferably in a key delivery role
- Solid background utilizing an Agile framework (e.g. Scrum, Extreme Programming, Kanban, SAFe) in software development
- Experience creating and facilitating Agile training/workshops
- Experience with common processes and tools that support Agile methodologies (Rally, VersionOne, Jira, etc.)
- Agile certification such as Certified Scrum Practitioner (CSP), Certified or Professional Scrum Trainer (CST, PST), Certified Enterprise Coach (CEC), Associate or Professional Certified Coach (ACC, PCC), SAFe Program Consultant (SPC), or SAFe Program Consultant Trainer (SPCT)
- Experience in the use of scaling methods such as SAFe, LESS, or industry equivalents
- Strong facilitation, communication, and negotiation skills
- Strong presentation and written skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent listener and mentor with outstanding interpersonal conflict-resolutions skills, and the ability to work in collaborative environments
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with a high attention to detail and lean thinking
- Articulate, persuasive, and comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization
- A predisposition to patience and tolerance
- Comfortable and articulate in challenging change management scenarios, knowing when to insert themselves and when to fade back
- Servant Leader
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and teach
- Manage through influence, but without direct management authority
Equal Opportunity Employer: SunTrust supports a diverse workforce and is a Drug Testing and Equal Opportunity Employer. SunTrust does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national originTo review the EEO Poster, copy and paste the following link into your browser: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf