Responsible for providing general legal advice, preparing and/or reviewing loan documents and other instruments, such as powers of attorney, trusts, and estates related to clients’ deposit accounts, fielding issues escalated through the retail branches and helpline, performing legal research and analysis, maintaining files and records, and assisting in resolving legal problems which may represent potential exposure to the company. Keeps abreast of all legislation and case law developments which affect the company and the banking industry.
Principal duties include, but are not limited to the following:
· Providing legal guidance and training for deposit account and payment system-related matters for branches and functional areas in the SunTrust footprint states.
· Reviewing deposit client documents such as powers of attorney, trusts, wills and estates administration, and providing advice to retail branch teammates and helpline teammates
· Managing deposit-related claims for the purpose of litigation avoidance.
· Reviewing and providing advice and training on legislative or regulatory changes impacting retail and deposit operations, policies and procedures.
· Creating and/or editing Deposit Account Agreements, disclosures and forms.
· Advising on core retail banking operational matters, including check and debit card processing, return items issues, abandoned and escheated property, and safe deposit box issues.
· Advising on internal security issues, including matters related to internal investigations, employee theft and defalcation, and fraud investigations.
· Advising on Truth in Savings Act, Electronic Funds Transfer Act, and funds availability issues.Qualifications
Bachelor’s and JD Degrees from Accredited Colleges and Law Schools; Georgia Bar Licensure required.
Three to Five years of legal experience minimum as an attorney is required, preferably representing clients who offer banking products/services (or comparable financial products/services).
The attorney's work history should include either large law firm experience, in-house counsel experience, or some combination of large private law firm and in-house counsel experience with a financial institution; Law Review or equivalent outstanding academic credentials.
Equal Opportunity Employer: SunTrust supports a diverse workforce and is a Drug Testing and Equal Opportunity Employer. SunTrust does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national originTo review the EEO Poster, copy and paste the following link into your browser: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf