Position Duties: Commercial Real Estate Finance Attorney responsible for providing comprehensive legal advice and support as part of legal team supporting lending activities of the Commercial Real Estate line of business of SunTrust Bank. The successful candidate will serve as an internal legal partner to a robust Commercial Real Estate line of business providing full-service banking solutions to owners, operators and developers of commercial real estate via five sub-lines of business: (i) Regional CRE (serving privately-held real estate companies via a regional delivery model), (ii) Institutional (serving institutional advisors, private equity funds, insurance companies, REITs, and national and large regional homebuilders), (iii) SunTrust Community Capital (providing capital for affordable housing projects and community economic development), (iv) Pillar/Cohen Lending and Servicing (providing Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and HUD lending products and primary and special loan servicing for third party lenders), and (v) Real Estate Investment Banking. This position is based in SunTrust’s Atlanta headquarters.
Position duties will include:
- Providing legal support for a wide variety of real estate finance transactions (i.e. project-level construction, bridge and permanent loans, syndicated corporate-level REIT credit facilities).
- Handling strategic transactions for the business, such as portfolio acquisitions and dispositions, including active management of outside counsel for larger, complex matters.
- Research and advice regarding regulatory issues impacting line of business lending activities.
- Keeping the business apprised of relevant legal developments.
- Providing guidance and acting as a liaison for outside legal counsel closing loan transactions.
- Updating line of business lending agreement legal forms.
- Assisting in formulation of bank policy as to various legal and credit issues.
Experience and skills for the role include the following:
§ J.D. from an accredited law school, excellent academic credentials and current member in good standing with Georgia or other state bar
§ A minimum of 3-6 years’ major law firm or in-house experience in commercial real estate and/or finance with an emphasis on the drafting of sophisticated real estate and finance documents
§ Excellent oral and written communication skills with particular emphasis on contract drafting abilities
§ Well-organized self-starter able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
§ Able to work independently, but in a team environment
§ Strong analytical skills and ability to balance business needs with legal risks
§ Strong negotiation skills
§ Enthusiastic self-starter and team player with positive attitude
Additional Preferred Skills:
§ Environmental law experience considered helpful
§ Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac multifamily lending experience considered helpful
§ Bar Membership in Florida a plus
§ Experience working in a technology-driven environment (data analytics and form automation knowledge a plus)
Equal Opportunity Employer: SunTrust supports a diverse workforce and is a Drug Testing and Equal Opportunity Employer. SunTrust does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national originTo review the EEO Poster, copy and paste the following link into your browser: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf