Preference is that the position will be located in Richmond, VA; will consider candidates for Atlanta, GA location. Some travel.
SunTrust seeks a licensed attorney to serve as in-house counsel on the Consumer Legal Team. The Consumer Loan Servicing Attorney provides legal advice and support relating to performing (non-default) servicing of consumer debt.
The position reports to a Consumer Legal Team managing attorney. The position requires the candidate to perform functions including but not limited to the following:
- Advise clients on legal requirements for servicing of both unsecured consumer debt and debt secured by motor vehicles, boats, RVs, aircraft, and investment and savings accounts.
- Promptly respond to client inquiries.
- Actively participate in projects that are driven by legal requirements.
- Perform legal research and communicate findings in a clear and concise manner.
- Engage individual lines of business regarding new legal requirements.
- Assist other attorneys on an as-needed basis with legal assignments.
- Counsel clients regarding policies, procedures, and correspondence templates implemented to account for legal requirements.
- Provide support for examinations by state and federal regulators.
- Consult on third-party servicing arrangements, loan acquisitions, and salesQualifications
- A JD with state bar admission
- Minimum 3 years legal department, law firm, or similar in-house or government regulatory experience, preferably including financial services
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage large volumes of work, including complex legal issues that may arise without warning
- Capacity to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, fluid environment with limited supervision
- Ability to counsel business partners, effectively identifying risks and mitigation options
- Willingness to work on a team, interacting across different functions and job levels
- High-energy, positive attitude, flexibility, and commitment to success
- Significant knowledge of Articles 2, 3 and 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
- Knowledge of titling laws and some familiarity with states’ varying processes
- Knowledge of state and federal requirements relating to consumer lending/financing
- Knowledge of the Uniform Consumer Credit Code (UCCC)
- Working familiarity with consumer financing/lending contract provisions and loan modifications
- Familiarity with the federal laws impacting consumer loan servicing, including Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Truth In Lending Act Regulation Z, Dodd-Frank Act, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, ESIGN Act, Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA), and federal and state unfair, deceptive, and abusive acts and practices laws (UDAAP).
- Familiarity with GAP Insurance and other ancillary products
Equal Opportunity Employer: SunTrust supports a diverse workforce and is a Drug Testing and Equal Opportunity Employer. SunTrust does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national originTo review the EEO Poster, copy and paste the following link into your browser: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf