The Enterprise Payments organization is looking for an experienced Senior Solutions Architect who will help us architect, design and build a modern payments platform with large-scale transaction processing capability, leveraging micro-services and cloud architectures, and using dev-ops best-practices.
- Overall architecture of the payments platform and payments capabilities/solutions at the bank - Includes all aspects of architecture/design - logical, functional, data, deployment/infrastructure, and all quality/non-functional attributes like security, performance/scale etc. Requires partnerships with other Architects, who may be specialists in one or more of these aspects.
- Architecture roadmaps, models and diagrams – current-state views, future-state views on a roadmap.
- Maintain alignment with enterprise architecture vision/strategy, corporate strategy, payments business strategy, and other key tenets laid out by senior management/leadership.
- Maintain transparency and posterity on all architecture decisions with respect to payments platform, via organized architecture meetings/forums – publish agenda, meetings notes, decision-log etc.
- Determine architectural feasibility of epics/features/stories on our backlog - help the team groom & size them. Aid completion of technical design and delivery, as needed, ahead of and within development sprints.
- Help us stay ahead of our competition by staying up to date on technical/architecture trends in our space - Attend related technical and industry conferences.
- Help us hire and retain technical and non-technical talent.
- We are also aiming to transform our entire software development and release process to be less manual and discrete - ship working software incrementally, more frequently, aided by a continuous & automated code, build, test, deploy processes all the way up to highly controlled production environments. This person will partner with our DevOps Leads/Engineers to Architects and re-factor the platform & associated applications to achieve that vision.
Characteristics we are looking for:
- Technology Generalist – broad/general familiarity with many different tech stacks, programming languages and frameworks, with significant depth in one or more.
- Actual experience writing code as a Developer in a modern technology stack preferably recent experience, and preferably in Java.
- Great Communicator – clear/crisp communication; someone who can bridge/straddle technical and non-technical, and influence leaders at all levels in business and technology organization using slide decks, or code/proof-of-concepts/demos, and everything in between.
- Effective Leader
- Someone with conviction, who is not afraid to debate ideas backed by facts/industry-research etc., but also knows when to seek leadership help to build alignment top-down.
- Experience leading technical negotiations between technical and business teams, as well as among peer architects.
- Up to date on Agile, DevOps and Cloud – knowledge of its benefits and actual experience implementing it, or driving it as a change-agent/change-champion.
- Friendly and positive. Enjoy working in a team, with experience leading working sessions and providing support/guidance to team members. Capable of influencing others, and disagreeing with ideas in a positive manner.
Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of experience in development or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. In-depth knowledge in information systems and ability to identify, apply, and implement best practices. Understanding of multiple disciplines/processes related to the position. Experience applying and utilizing enterprise architecture standards. Understanding of key business processes and competitive strategies related to the IT function. Ability to plan and manage projects. Ability to solve complex problems by applying best practices. Ability to provide direction and mentor less experienced teammates. Ability to interpret and convey complex, difficult, or sensitive information.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience as a Technical Lead or Solutions Architect in the banking/FinTECH industry preferably with excellent domain knowledge of payments (Wires, ACH, etc.), or other types of high-volume networked transaction processing (cards, item processing, etc.) that crosses multiple applications and phased-commits, run by multiple parties in a network.
- Hands on experience in leading a team of mid to junior level Architects/Analysts, and Senior Developers on a large scale program - with a strong understanding of both Waterfall & Agile methodologies.
- Top notch analytical skills with an ability to break down a complex scenario into manageable units and solve each, then synthesize back to the whole/big picture for business and IT stakeholders.
- Very strong communication skills (verbal, written & presentation) with experience interacting with Senior/Executive leadership.
- Experience with Java, C#/.NET, or other enterprise grade OO programming language
- Experience in modern data/database development – SQL, NoSQL, related technologies
- Familiarity with architecture patterns that include IBM Mainframes – understanding of CICS interface, COBOL programming language, and schedulers/batch processes. Ability to architect/design a modern, services platform by working with and within constraints imposed by mainframe as a component in that architecture.
- Experience creating architecture models and diagrams in Visio or other similar tools.
- Experience creating and maintaining current-state and future-state architecture roadmaps.
- Experience facilitating architecture forums/meetings - formalize agenda, meeting notes, and decision logs, via lean documentation.
- GIT - Branching, Merging, Release Paths, Hotfixes, Pull Requests
- Scripting – Powershell, Unix, Perl, Python, Ruby
- AWS or similar cloud platforms & technologies (Azure, Google, CloudFoundry, etc.)
- Automated Testing – unit, acceptance, regression, performance, etc. (Selenium, JUnit, Cucumber, SpecFlow, etc.)
- Test Data Management & Service Virtualization including dependency injection, Inversion of Control Frameworks, Mocking Frameworks
- Automated Environment Provisioning, Build & Deployment Tools including Configuration Management – TFS, Jenkins, etc.
Equal Opportunity Employer: SunTrust supports a diverse workforce and is a Drug Testing and Equal Opportunity Employer. SunTrust does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national originTo review the EEO Poster, copy and paste the following link into your browser: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf